Tuesday, September 4, 2012

"If You Eat, You're In"

The "Edible Landscape" project is one item that might help local schools, businesses, farms, etc; here's a 13 minute TED talk by Pamela Warhurst.
Warhurst sees this as community activism, community art, sustainability, and I guess being a locavore; most of that leaves me feeling "well, okay," but I'm in favor of things that make school "real" in the sense that the grading ultimately comes from something outside, where agriculture certainly qualifies. (So does robotics. Art sometimes yes, sometimes no. Math definitely yes for people like me, but definitely no for many others and I may have been born this way--certainly I saw it that way before heading off to Epsom Chapel Nursery School. (Simple math, anyway -- I never really got a proper grip on category theory.))

No comments:

Post a Comment